Down on the Farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down on the Farm

A fun casual family portrait. They live on the highest point in the county so it was a bit windy. They loved it and bought several large wall portraits from the session. We did it last minuite. I was shooting the boy's senior portraits on the farm and mentioned that we should do a family portrait. Mom loved the idea, and everyone had white shirts and blue jeans. It was a awesome sale. Any cc welcome.
    Attached Files

Here's another. I wish I had paid a bit more attention to the hands.
    Attached Files

Comment

Scott, I think they look good.

As far as CC. I would have posed the family in the first one so that the tractor is far away. Secondary point of interest.

The only real hand problem is the son's right hand. I would like to see mom's hand on dad's back. Placement of heads might could move son's up a bit. But it looks good, very salable. Plus you made some great money on it.
      "Stay Ignorant, My Friends"

Comment

Thanks for the comments Tim. Your right that would of been nice to have done it that way. My thinking was I already had the close up on the porch, and I wanted the tractor to look huge and massive. Hind sight 20 20.

Comment

Overall nice. I wish the light was more interesting. I guess since it was spur of the moment you had to work with what you had. Could you have suggested the family shots and then scheduled it for a better time of day?

Comment

To get the tractor to look as large as they are, try a couple of other things. First, get close and shoot really wide. The tires should wrap around the edges of the frame, with the family in the middle. Esp if you have them kneel.

Second, you could position the family on the 'hood' of the tractor. Preposition it so the pipe cools down. Definately won't hurt the tractor to sit on it. (Been there, stomped on that).

Won't work on this machine, since it is setup for double and tripple sets of tires. But is something I did for my cousin's Sr photos.
            Attached Files

Comment

looks like a fun session-things we see frequently where I'm at too!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Babin
                The only real hand problem is the son's right hand. I would like to see mom's hand on dad's back. Placement of heads might could move son's up a bit. But it looks good, very salable. Plus you made some great money on it.
                What about mom's horn?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Babin
                  As far as CC. I would have posed the family in the first one so that the tractor is far away. Secondary point of interest.
                  But the tractor IS family

Comment

Here's an idea, get a bail of hay bring it closer to the camera and use it to pose the family. This would make the family larger and help in posing, and keep the tractor full framed. Fun to keep the family on the farm, very personal, good job.

Comment

Eric, you caught the horn!!!
                      "Stay Ignorant, My Friends"

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Jeff its obvious that we disagree on about everything. I could have scheduled it for another day, and risked having her cancel, reschedule, end up spending her money on some thing else. No I decided to make and extra $1,100. yesterday on top of her senior order. I will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Comment

Scott,
                          For half of what you made I would be singing and dancing to the bank. Then I would be looking for someone to buy dinner for on the way home...
                          Make hay when the sun shines sort of goes with the tractor theme...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Crosby
                            Thanks everyone.

Jeff its obvious that we disagree on about everything. I could have scheduled it for another day, and risked having her cancel, reschedule, end up spending her money on some thing else. No I decided to make and extra $1,100. yesterday on top of her senior order. I will be laughing all the way to the bank.
                            Gotta agree with Scott here. $1,100 = GREAT photography no matter what PPA judges might say

(Though I understand that you are posting here for the critique, but you are doing something right )

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Crosby
                              Thanks everyone.

What exactly are we disagreeing on? You asked for a critique. Do you disagree with me that the light could be better? I don't believe I said you shouldn't have made an extra $1100 any day. Not sure why you want to argue.

Comment

Working...
                              X