Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sock it to me...Family of 9...Changes for next time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sock it to me...Family of 9...Changes for next time?

I usually just do babies and children. Haven't done too many large families but had a family of 9 shoot today. I would love to hear what I could have done differently to make this image more appealing (posing wise, etc.) I do wish the youngest boy wasn't so sunk in his "seat". I did find that with the fast current of water rushing by us, any instruction I wanted to give fell on mute ears unless I physically walked right up to them each time I wanted to say something.
    Attached Files

I think it "rocks"...get it? Its late sorry. I really am liking the family spread out on the rocks. The photo is kinda small so its hard to see any details.
    I think you did a great job, I don't do many families either.
    April

Comment

Thanks April! I had to resize the image about 10x to get it to fit for upload. That's why it ended up so darn small. LOL at the "rocks"!

Comment

It is sort of hard to tell from the size. From what I can see it looks good. The only thing that jumps out at me is the triangle of sky in the bg. I would have looked for an angle that eliminated that.
        Last edited by ; 07-07-2005, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks Jeff. That's good to know. I would not have thought of that.

Comment

1. I would have liked to see little more interaction with each other. The lady on the left looks very lonely and the empty space in the middle could have been filled.
            2. Having little ones in the front would have helped also.
            3. Positioning the faces (height difference) closer would have been better.

Love the scene though

Comment

Thanks Andrews! Where would have been a better place to put the single gal and still spread them out then? I was trying to keep the family with the kids as one unit. Maybe I should have not worried about that. The client begged me to keep the space in the middle so we could see the water behind. Unfortunately I was shooting standing on my own rock in the water and didn't have too much "moving around" room unless I wanted to swim. LOL!

Comment

Andrea ~ i would have also moved the couple to the right to cover the gap, but you already explained that they wanted it that way. i would have taken one both ways just to show them what it looked like

Comment

a few other things... the woman on the left of the image, her knee looks as if it is growing out of the mans head, and the couple looks kind of squished.

it is always easier to see where you would fix things later

Comment

Not bad. Better than a lot that I see.
                    Something I try to consider when doing family groups is to try as much as I can to "balance the mass."

For instance, see the really large guy up on the rock? Well, he's right next to someone half his size. I would try to put enough of the smaller child in front of the larger person to try to equallize or balance their relative masses. Make sense?

A setting like this is a real gift, but it is a real challenge too. I think you handled it rather well. If you will be returning here with other families try some of these ideas and repost.

Comment

The smaller folks should be closer to the camera, too make them look bigger and larger people too the back. On the 3 of the aduts you are shooting into the shoulder, try to pose at 45 too the camera. The pose is almost split in half by the sky and the 3 groupings, a higher/different camera postion would have helped.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Kennedy
                        It is sort of hard to tell from the size. From what I can see it looks good. The only thing that jumps out at me is the triangle of sky in the bg. I would have looked for an angel that eliminated that.
                        Jeff would you have waited for the angel or just shot from a different angle???? LOL

Sorry couldn't resist.

Comment

I do like it but I may have put them all on the rock on the right in a triangle, so the are all a little closer and maybe have them touching each other more.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rose
                            Jeff would you have waited for the angel or just shot from a different angle???? LOL

Sorry couldn't resist.
                            Obviously I would have prayed for the angel to come and fix it for me, DUH! LOL! I just fixed that when I noticed it but hadn't read this comment yet.

Comment

Thanks Everyone. You are all so helpful! I appreciate all the comments. Its so hard when you are in the moment with that many people, and they want the photograph, but they also just want to be done, know what I mean? I tried not to rush things, and think about posing. The rocks on the other side go down to deep rushing water, so I was also pretty nervous about having the little ones close to the edge of the rocks. I did also try to arrange them differently after I got these shots, and the mom didn't want to. She wanted to go to a different spot with a waterfall....which they all proceeded to climb down about 20ish feet or so over slippery rocks (WITH the 4 month old) for me to get a shot. They did this all before I even realized what was happening. Talk about a few scary moments.

I will definitely keep all these great suggestions in mind if I ever photograph a large family at this spot again. Great advice!

Comment

Working...
                              X