• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first pic post here

cc welcome!comments appreciated
    Attached Files

this lil guy is a bnaby planner and so cute
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Angela Bridges; 06-23-2005, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Angel:

Thanks for posting images....I need to know a bit of info??? ARE you a working professional? IE you have a studio, a sign on the door, and a price list and business license?

OR.....

Are you a part timer doing this from your living room or the living room of the client?

OR.....

IS this your baby and you bought a camera and you are trying to be better at what you do?

OR......

Something else????

I need to know your LEVEL so I can offer some growth advice.

HELP ME HELP YOU?

Kirk
      Redheaded Johnson

Comment

Yes I am a working professional ,however photographing for a year for others in the process currently of building studio ~Yes I have a business liscence,word of mouth mostly and boutique advertising,but still constantly learning of course and I am a terrible at ps and only have elements,my posts always look off ~ for more of my work ~ I am currently as featured photographer at betterphoto.com ,you can go to betterphoto ,click on galleries then featuredphotographer~Angela Buffington (just took Viks class,before that nyip~ now studio settings [email protected] softbox,nikon f100 film and these are scans from cd that I attemted to edit to post ~ and I sincerely appreciate any advice ,growth that's why I posted but honestly my ps skills ~ well are none Thanks!

Comment

OK then...from a PURLY PHOTOGRAPHY stand point...I bet the MOM just LOVES THESE!!!! The face...the smile....the expression.....

But...I also bet she did not buy a big wall portrait....

NOW...everything is NOT about big wall portraits...I do a whole lot of senior portraits.....and I do not do it to sell WALL PORTRAITS....I mostly want to sell WALLETS...that is where my PROFIT IS...

But....with babies...there is a TON of profit in WALL PORTRAITS.

So...my first advice is that you need to BACK UP....give that baby some ROOM around it....

Next...I need to know what kind of SOFT BOX you are using??? Size? distance from the subject, angle? etc.

Kirk
          Redheaded Johnson

Comment

large soft box,ab 800 to the left at a angle 3 feet from the baby,would you like for me to post the unedited version so you can show me how you would crop? she has her viewing appointment tommorow!Any more help greatly appreciated!

Comment

Sure....

Kirk
              Redheaded Johnson

Comment

here ya go

Straight off cd to here besides resizing for here! I do believe it might need a levels adjustment ! but you decide! Also can you do a B&w conversion just using regular conversion and let me know how you did it! You may not be able to get rid of me posting now!LOL!
                Attached Files

Comment

oh and btw right now yes i am in my small living room or location until my studio is built ~Thanks again

Comment

Angel.....I would like to suggest for you to pay closer attention to the details in a shot. Usually, the use of the cheese cloth is to cover up the diaper to have the appearance that all the baby is wearing is the cheescloth or a cloth diaper. I would also suggest that when you crop this in the camera while shooting, take one shot for a close up of it, but also zoom back and allow more room on the sides of a little one this small for possible sale of a wall portrait.

In the case of this baby, this shot is only cropped as at the largest an 8x10 sale. To see this as a 16x20 would make that cute little one look like a GIGANTIC baby! If you don't have a focusing screen that shows you 8x10 crop lines, you need to get one. This will help you make sure you have the same amount of space on all sides of the baby to make it more proportionate when shot full frame.

To me, it appears that you are photographing and showing images as a 4x6 which is a disadvantage b/c most prints are an 8x10 format and won't allow the final vision of what the image will look like. Just trying to help. Who are you using for printing and proofing and what size are you having them printed to show the customer?

Both of these images appear cropped at odd sizes as well. Like 7x9.5 and similar. That is a little confusing to me which is why I asked the printing questions above. What lab is scanning your negatives for you?

Comment

I use mpix for some and millers for others~ I proof as a slide show on a big screen tv and print a contact sheet to choose from,then order what the customer pays for.I mostly use my 50mm inside!but my room isn't huge ! where do you get a focusing screen~oh and I didn't use the cheese cloth to cover the diaper but for him to feel secure ~ I do have some shots with the diaper covered but he grabbed it and I like the babies to be natural so the diaper doesn't bother me ~but thanks for the advice.I chose this image to post here because I liked the expression and the ones whhere he was covered are not the same

Comment

What happened Kirk?

Comment

He probably went to bed, it's like 2am there.

Comment

kori ~do you mean change the focusing screen in the camera ?I didn't realize you could but how do I know what to change it to? Please clarify!Thanks again for your cc and advice!
                            Last edited by Angela Bridges; 06-25-2005, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Angel-
                              not Kori here, but I think there's something you can get for your camera that lets you view it this way, not just an option that's already there. I don't have it either, so I can't tell you for sure what it is, I've just heard talk about it. Not sure if it is for film cameras.

You said straight off the CD- where do you get your film developed, like at a pro film lab or a store? Do they put it on the CD for you as they're developing it? I just ask because when I did film I tried scanning the images myself and having them printed and that was just not a good thing. I am definitely one who has far to go as far as getting everything right straight out of the camera, and I have found that learning photoshop is absolutely necessary unless you are getting perfect shots out of the camera every time. That is just not me- I have to PS ALMOST everything at least a little bit.

As for the cloth and what Kori suggested covering the diaper- I went to Babies R Us and found some very cheap white cotton swim diaper covers on sale last summer and use those over top of my babies diapers. It is still natural but you don't have Elmo peeking out at you stealing eyes away from your beautiful babies. And all my mom's love them, too. As they get bigger you can pick up little bloomers in the mismatch bins and clearance racks- usually they originally come with dresses but for some reason or another have gotten separated. Those work really well, too.

Just went and saw your Betterphoto stuff. You have some nice work there.
                              May I ask what kind of lens you are using? Like what length? If you are shooting such extreme close-ups because you have to due to space and not because you choose to, you might want to consider a shorter lens to open it up some more. Kirk is dead-on, for wall portraits most of the time you need to back up. Like that shot of the angel baby on the beach at betterphoto- I could see that as a wall portrait. A super close up would do well as an 8x10 but larger than that would be like attack of the 50 foot baby.
                              Last edited by Jen Eagan; 06-25-2005, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X