Service Pack 2??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Pack 2??????

I haven't heard anything about this lately and was wondering if Microsoft has done antying to improve it.

When it first came out and Microsoft was sayint to be sure and install this I did and it almost killed my computer. My computer slowed to a crawl and many things weren't compatible with it.

Has anybody installed this on your computer? Any problems?

Come on in. The water if fine.

XP SP2 is the safest, most stable, most secure OS that exists. I am absolutely amazed how abusive I can be to this program and it just keeps clicking along. You do need to have a computer to run it.

I have found nothing that was incompatible with it.

Upgrade and enjoy

Comment

PS Incompatibility is likely due to lazy programers. Right now, programs can get Longhorn development kits. So when longhorn comes out, they should be up to speed. Laziness is the only reason they won't

Comment

Eric,

SP2 didn't slow your machine down?

Mine went to a crawl.

Plus, Photoshop had a hard time working with it.

And when I called to see how to get it OFF my PC, even the techs didn't know. They finally said I would have to reformat my computer...which of course would totally erase everything.

I finally found a way (don't remember how) but it took me forever.

I'm just abit leary of trying that again.

Comment

No problems here with SP2.
          I dont doubt that it might give fits to certain PCs under certain conditions. But by and large, I would say if SP2 gives you problems, you probably have some hardware that needs to be modernized. A reasonably modern PC with reasonably modern components shouldnt have any problems. A 4-5 yr old PC... yeah maybe

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Hill
            Eric,

SP2 didn't slow your machine down?

Mine went to a crawl.

Plus, Photoshop had a hard time working with it.

And when I called to see how to get it OFF my PC, even the techs didn't know. They finally said I would have to reformat my computer...which of course would totally erase everything.

I finally found a way (don't remember how) but it took me forever.

I'm just abit leary of trying that again.
            No slow down. The problem could be deeper. It might be a chipset or bios issue. If you have a name brand computer, such as Dell. Try going to their site to get the updated bios or chipset.

However, there are always little program battles that can go on that are inexplainable. You could start with a clean installation.

Comment

Well I just re-installed my enter system. Bought a new 60 gig HD, loaded XP Pro including SP2. This baby is humming now. Still had about 30 patches, but at least now Office updates is combined with regular updates. Glad I installed that option.

It could be that I did not install AV yet either

Programmers have gotten so lazy.. the bloatware is criminal. basically because of the turn around, end users (eg. those purchasing) are really the beta testers now

Comment

My computer has a problem with SP2 and Norton Internet Security/Anti-Virus. Spent hours on Norton's website going thru all their instructions for fixes, then hours on the phone with tech support, nothing worked. Finally just uninstalled all the Norton software.

Comment

Working...
                X