Hair Light Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair Light Setup

What is your hairlight setup. Manfroto Heavy Duty boom, with photogenics PGL4001 with snoot, but the only softbox I see available for this light is a 24"X24" square one. I believe most people are using strip softboxes, but what size and what type of Light?

Anyone use these lights for hair lights with a softbox?

Comment

I have 2 WL 600 ultras facing backwards in a homemade contraption that consists of 2-5 foot foamcore panels covered with slilver roscoeflex and a set of louvers.

Comment

with photogenics PGL4001 with snoot
        Never seen anyone use the photogenics, but are you asking about using a softbox and a snoot together? For hairlight I either just use a snoot if I'm doing a headshot, or a 20 degree grid if 3/4 shot. Photoflex has a small softbox that I see a lot of people using.

Comment

I've been using grids like Eric.

Comment

No I was not asking about using a snoot and a softbox together, am trying to get something that is not quite so directional, I see lots of people using a strip softbox, I would like to know what light / softbox combo they are using?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Nordquist
              20 degree grid if 3/4 shot. Photoflex has a small softbox that I see a lot of people using.
              This may work better for me, what light do you use this on?

Comment

I have alien bees, but you should be able to get a grid to fit whatever light you have, and with the proper speedring the softbox will work w/ any light. You should only be looking at a max of $40 here....nothing fancy.

Comment

I have three setups where I power the separation - hair light with inexpensive Novatron units. This way only the very light flash head has to be mounted in the modifier. We use larson strip lights. One is 30" long by 9" wide, anothe is 18" x 9" amd the last one is Not a Larson, but a 4x8 foot PVC frame covered with ripsoft white nylon with two flash heads firing into the fabric.

Comment

What light you use isn't really too big an issue. I prefer to use one of my lower powered lights so that I can have more flexibility where I place it. Lately I've been putting a softbox on it and setting it up behind them and aiming it at the floor so that it just feathers across their hair. Its set at about the same power as my main. Seems to work pretty well.

Comment

Larson strip box 12x36 with photogenic on boom mounted to ceiling so I can raise/lower and angle it anyway I want. Added a scrim to the front to keep it from getting any light into the camera lens. Now if I could just figure out a way to adjust the power on that light without having to climb the ladder. I need a remote power cord that would run down to the wall so I can slide the power up and down as needed.

Then another hair light mounted on boom/stand with soft grid #10 I think, another photgenic powerlight, this one I use when I move around the studio to diffent setting such as off the wall or scenic designs. Just don't knock it over and hit some poor girl on top the head with it..ouch

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Graves
                        Then another hair light mounted on boom/stand with soft grid #10 I think, another photgenic powerlight, this one I use when I move around the studio to diffent setting such as off the wall or scenic designs. Just don't knock it over and hit some poor girl on top the head with it..ouch
                        I have mine on a heavy duty boom with casters and love that part, but the light is so directional that if the move a little can put it on their shoulder or hand etc, I will probably try a small softbox and see how that works, also my light set at 1/4 is pretty bright yet, so a softbox should help.

What I like about the little photogenic lights is that there is a telephone like cable that can be hooked to them and you can controll the power (full / 1/2 1/4) from a remote box. I am not sure if I can find the cable now though.

Comment

Working...
                        X