Kirk, Order Catalog Action Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kirk, Order Catalog Action Question

Kirk, I have your Photoshop action for the Order Catalog. I don't have a Phaser and it gets so expensive to print them out on my ink jet, so I ran the action and stopped it before it printed. Saved the file and then had it printed on a Frontier. On the file you can see the names of the files on the bottom, but when I got the prints back you could only see a small portion of the top of the letters of the file names for the bottom row. Is it possible to change something in the action so that I will get the file names printed on the bottom row? If so, how would you recommend I do it?

Danny

WELL?????

Ahhhhhhhhhh......LET me be honest??? I'm going to first suggest you change the FONT size when the first Contact sheet page comes up to something smaller, or larger?? I would try it both ways.

NEXT, if that doesn't work, try raising the DPI from 100 to 200 and see what that does???

NEXT, Who's frontier are you using??? the file that is created is a perfect 8x10 so you should get all the lettering?

AFTER THAT, you would have to sit down and start DEBUGGING the action, which would work, but will be as time consuming as creating that action yourself.

LET ME KNOW IF THIS FIXED YOUR PROBLEM.

Kirk
    Redheaded Johnson

Comment

Kirk, Thanks for your reply. I think that I had the font set to Arial 10 Pt. I was going to Sam's today so I had them print them. When I picked up the prints I asked them to double check to see if the file names were on or not and they said they were right at the edge. Would it work for me to change the canvas size to 8x11 or 8x12 to add space at the bottom after I stop the action before it prints?

Also, what would you recommend for file resolution. What I did was used my ProShots image files, about 72 dpi, and the images looked out of focus. Would it be better to use higher resolution images so they look like they are in focus? If so, what resolution would you recommend?

Thanks again,

Danny

Comment

For the Fronteer, the proper resolution should be 250.

The only problem is, I think when you change the resolution on the OPENING contact sheet, this will throw off all the numbering and such??? YOU will have to try it.

FRANKLY, if then numbers at the bottom are being cut off, it is something SAMS is doing wrong.....What would happen if you asked them to print an 8x10?? would it cut some off of the bottom???

Finally, the main purpose for the images looking bad is so that the customers do not buy the ORDER CATALOG, the purpose is to get them to purchase prints!! I want my order catalog looking bad. IF It looks too good, customers will say,,,,that is good enough.

Kirk
        Redheaded Johnson

Comment

Kirk,

They did try printing an 8x12 from the 8x10 file and it did get all the printing at the bottom in. Only problem was it cropped off the sides, on the horizontal images it would crop off the left if they were on the left or right if they were on the right. I will try some experimenting and see what happens.

Thanks for your responses and for starting Pro4uM! I have learned so much from everyone!

Danny

Comment

Keep me posted as to the results.

Kirk
            Redheaded Johnson

Comment

Where can I get this action?

Comment

Richard:

I posted it a while back in the PDA, and it is on the ACTION CD.....

Just click the BLUE STORE Icon at the top of every page. AFTER you read what is writtne under the RED READ THIS:

Click on either Pro4uM Access, or Pro4uM Exchange Items.

Yours,

Kirk
                Redheaded Johnson

Comment

Kirk, I redid my the order catalog. Starting over I set the resolution to 250, then stopped the action before printing and increased canvas to 8x12. It looks fine. I then cut off the top to get an 8.5x11 for my catalog.

Now another question. For the contact sheet II part of the action, I set it to 2 columns and 3 rows as you suggested. When I first did the action the images were about 3x3 inches. Then I redid them and the images were about 2x2 inches. Is there a way to change the size of the images when using the contact sheet II part of the action? Everything else is the same as the first time, even the resolution. I'm using Photoshop 7.0. In the preferences I have it set to load my plug ins from 6.01 since I have an Applied Science Fiction - Digital SHO action that I haven't figured out how to get into 7.0 yet. By doing this I have 2 contact sheet II's under File>Automate. So what I did was changed preferences so that it doesn't load plug ins from 6.0 and now there is just 1 contact sheet II that gives me the larger images. Any ideas? I just don't want to go to use it next time and have it making the smaller images.

Danny

Comment

Danny:

I hate to admit it??? But you lost me??? Why not just move the action from your ps6 actions area into 7 that way you don't have to do all that crazy stuff???

Kirk
                    Redheaded Johnson

Comment

The Frontier... that prints a photographic print... right? (If I'm wrong then ignore this next question) Why on earth would you go to the work and expense to have a photographic print made for an ordering sheet???? Tell me where you're going with this Danny..... and isn't he ordering sheet typically 8.5x11 ???? So if it is then it wont fit on an 8x10. You'v got a stor front right? Near other businesses?? Go find somebody that has a need for color 'copies' that can help you make the # of copies you need to get that phasar!!

Comment

Working...
                      X