Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bat Mitzvah

Hi everyone,

I've been in this profession for over 25 years and never had the opportunity to photograph a Bar/Bat Mitzvah until now... while I have a general idea what goes on I don't know some of the finer points that will make this experience rewarding for my client and myself.

I would appreciate hearing from some of the experts on Pro4Um in regard to what I need to do to service my client properly at this most special time in their child's life and indeed a very special time in the life of their family.

I welcome your input.

Al

Re: Bat Mitzvah

It has been a few years since I last covered one, but the thing is to catch the emotion to film or pixels. They have hired you to record the event from your porspective, so most important capture the feeling of the celebration. Also, ask them about special family groups they might want photos of as these are tough to get with candids.

Richlain

Comment

I have done a whopping 1 Bar Mitzvah, 1 Bat Mitzvah, & a double which I believe is called a Ba'ni Mitzvah so I'm not exactly what you would call an expert on the subject but obviously photographs of the ceremony are important, but you will need to check with the rabbi as to if you can do that. I shot from the balconey with a 300 2.8 lens & a 70-200 2.8 lens. Family groups are also a big thing on this day.

Just ask alot of questions because their is no one size fits all when it comes to this sort of thing. Just as there are many "Christian" churches there are also great differences in Judism, for example the local synagoge has a female rabbi, which wouldn't fly in more orthodox area.

Just ask alot of questions. There was also a good article a couple of years ago in Rangefinder magazine on Bar/Bat Mitzvah photography. Hope this helps some.

Comment

Llew and Richlain,

Thanks for your input... I always check with the "powers that be" at any event I am working on, as you say, every one is different in custom and requirements.

I've also been talking to the Parents of the young lady and have set up a tentative listing of the kinds of coverage they want. I look forward to the challenge.

Thanks again

Al

Comment

Working...
        X