What should I have done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I have done?

I had the camera in my hands (flash was inside the house) and my neighbors came by to show use the cart that they just bought. I wanted to take a picture but I knew that they were in a hurry. I increased the ISO to 400 and set the aperture to 5.6 (I think). Not sure of the shutter speed. I'd like to know how you would have framed this in the camera (prefered composition) and what setting would you have gone for. Any comments are appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Suzanne
    Last edited by Suzanne Inzerella; 06-01-2008, 10:09 AM.

I'd switch it to b/w. It's a bit yellow. The cars in the back are a pain. Could you have turned them a bit? IF they don't like the b/w then tell them that's the setting you had it on in the camera. Just what I would do.

Comment

Thanks Karen. Like I said earlier....it wasn't a planned photo....it was a (oh, take a picture) type thing....LOL. I always hate it when people put me on the spot because I'm still learning the basics. I do agree with you and that is why I posted it....to see how others would handle a situation like this. I tried the B/W version and his glasses turned really dark so I kept the color. The cart was lite yellow thought. Thanks again for your comments. Always appreciated!!

Suzanne

Comment

shallower depth of field to blur out the background would help.

have the carts hit LA also? We have a whole community here that travels everywhere in golf carts. It's mind-bogling.
        Attached Files

Comment

if you had taken a step to your right, you may have eliminated the cars in the background and had only road behind. I agree, shallow DOF, like 2.8, but then you would need to be dead-on with the focus right on their eyes. I like it in b/w better.

Comment

A quick version. In color
            Attached Files

Comment

I think I would have asked them to step out of the cart and pose them as a couple with it.

Vicki

Comment

Originally posted by Suzanne Inzerella View Post
                Thanks Karen. Like I said earlier....it wasn't a planned photo....it was a (oh, take a picture) type thing....LOL. I always hate it when people put me on the spot because I'm still learning the basics. I do agree with you and that is why I posted it....to see how others would handle a situation like this. I tried the B/W version and his glasses turned really dark so I kept the color. The cart was lite yellow thought. Thanks again for your comments. Always appreciated!!

Suzanne
                Suzanne, in a situation like this, what you have is a snapshot, not a portrait, and that's perfectly fine!! I don't think the neighbors expected a refined portrait, just a "picture". I'm sure if you were doing a portrait you would have wanted their clothing coordinated and to see some interaction between the couple, as well as having a simple background.

Don't be hard on yourself. Not every image that comes out of your camera has to be a "portrait."
                Happy to be here.

Comment

Also, in watch where her hands are. Women tend to naturally put their hands between their legs. It looks like she has to pee. And that is exactly how I explain it to my clients.

Comment

You all have been wonderful, but I think you all have misunderstood my post....I'm not very good with explaining my self sometimes. Let's try again.

I'M NOT LOOKING FOR A PRTRAIT HERE! I'M SIMPLY LOOKING FOR THE BEST COMPOSITION AND LIGHTING THAT I COULD HAVE DONE. THAT IS ALL I WAS LOOKING FOR. SORRY IF I DIDN'T EXPLAIN MYSELF WELL. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP. YOU ALL HAVE BEEN WONDERFUL!!

Suzanne

Comment

Hey Suzanne, I would have asked them to turn towards the direction of light more and have them pose just alittle outside of the cart rather than just sitting there.

Best to ya, Ernst

Comment

Originally posted by Suzanne Inzerella View Post

I'M NOT LOOKING FOR A PRTRAIT HERE! I'M SIMPLY LOOKING FOR THE BEST COMPOSITION AND LIGHTING THAT I COULD HAVE DONE.
                        Suzanne
                        what do you think the difference is?

(btw - using all caps is the same as shouting - thought you might like to know that)

Comment

Sorry Marci, I really just meant to highlight what I was trying to express. About your question.....I'm trying to figure out how to create a nice snapshot when I'm not prepared to take a portrait. So many times people will grab me because they know that I love photography and I feel like I'm put on the spot because I'm still in the learning stages.

Comment

Since you are in the "learning phase" I would suggest you take every opportunity to make the best "portrait" you can. You have people willing to "model" for you and help you practice, so forget about taking snapshots and try to make a "portrait" every chance you get.

Comment

Great advice Marci.....Thanks!! As soon as I can, I'll try to post another one using the wonderful suggestions here.

Comment

Working...
                              X