authentic matted effect...how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• authentic matted effect...how?

I know that there are programs that will do this, but I'm looking for a way to reproduce the same deep-cut, matted effect as shown in the attached image. Apologies to the photographer, I don't remember where I came across the image, i just saved it at the time as a favorite.
    I'd like to know what I'm missing in layer styles, because I'm trying all the bevel and emboss, inner shadow and etc. options that seem logical to me and I can't quite get there.
    Thanks in advance for any tips!
    Lance
    Attached Files

I would like to know this too.

Comment

Quickmats will do it.

Matmaker might -- have not tried it enough to know for sure.

Comment

Lance, I tried this, and it looks pretty close to what you posted, although it's hard to tell on my monitor. I would post an example, but my internet is slow today for uploading, so I'll let you try it yourself.

Take your original image (the larger one), make a selection where you want to insert the smaller image. hit the delete key to clear the selection. Add a drop shadow to the large image, that will give you the black edge around the top and left of your "hole". I also did an emboss to this larger image - not sure if it's the look you want, but then drag the smaller image in behind it. Like I said, it looks very close to what you are asking - hope it helps. I may be all wrong - but I tried!

Comment

Lori's method would work, but another way is using layer style> inner shadow on the small image.

Comment

still at it

Thanks everyone!
            Kathryn, I tried bevel and emboss and inner shadow and got pretty close ( see attached ) - but not quite as good as what I saw in the first sample image I posted. This image isn't really intended for anything, I just grabbed it to try and refine the technique.
            Okay Lori, off to try it your way...
            Attached Files

Comment

Lori's technique...

This still doesn't look as good as the sample version I posted at first, but I think I'm moving in the right direction. Still open to suggestions...
              Attached Files

Comment

Lance, mine looks better than yours. I tried to post my image but it's still not working. When you add the drop shadow, try bringing the size slider up to at least 110 - that will give you a soft dark shadow around the 2 edges, instead of the hard edge you have. That may help

Comment

I think I'm done

I'm pretty close to what I was trying to achieve. Lori - I'd still like to see yours for comparison, but here is round 3...

Thanks again.
                  Lance
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here it is Lance - I just can't see yours well enough to know what look aren't getting. Can you tell me what part is not the way you are going for?

Last edited by Lori Clapp; 07-16-2007, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Here is an example I came up with using Lori's method, plus some other things.

Don
                      Attached Files

Comment

Donald, that looks great! Can you post the steps?

Thanks!

Comment

Lori, actually the more I look at mine - I'm very happy with it.
                          Donald, that looks nice. Looks like a little "inner glow" - anything else?

Comment

yes don - please share those steps

Comment

I opened the image. Flattened it, then made a duplicate layer. Then cut out the portion that I wanted to insert the small image. Opened the second photo and flattened it then pasted it between the 2 layers on the first image and resized it to fit the opening. The top layer style is then done with a outside glow and an inside glow and a drop shadow. Adjust the shadow to 60% opacity, the distance to 21,the spread to 9%, and the size to 18. Then make a copy of the bottom layer, move it to the top and cut out a section that is larger than the cut out for the second image. That way the layer style of the shadow is only on the inside edge of the cut out and not on the outside edge of the portrait.

I hope this makes sense.

Don

Comment

Working...
                              X