Teaching a basic Photo Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching a basic Photo Class

Looking for some ideas on main, basic topics that should be covered in a community based photo class. I have been asked by several park districts in my area to teach a series of basic classes. I was asked to limit it to 4 weeks, 2 hours per week.

Any suggestions?

I've got some ideas but would love some input to see what others come up with. I plan to add a weekly photo assignment that will included in the class as well but hope to not use class time for discussion by doing some online sharing and critiques.

Thanks everyone!

I’ve been doing a little teaching with s class of 28 students. That have no access to a real camera or computers. So I came up with the topic of directional light. It consumed about 90 minutes. Then everyone took a photo with their phones ( cringe) near a window and their photo partner held a price of white paper behind it so we later can talk about high lights and low lights. I’m going to bring in a reflector for the next lesson and cover some good stuff. Very basic and didn’t put everyone in front of a computer. Hope that helps.

Comment

What is an F Stop
      What is the Shutter Speed.
      Proper way to HOLD the camera for maximum stability.

What is the relationship and balance between the f stop, shutter speed, and ISO....what is the give and take that equates into the "ART" of photography.
      Why a tripod.
      What is the difference between wide angle and telephoto and how do you decide which to use when.

What is depth of field.
      How to use FOCUS as an art form
      Motion Blur and how to do it.

That should keep you busy for a while.

Kirk
      Redheaded Johnson

Comment

Thanks Denyce. I appreciate the ideas.

Comment

Thanks to you too Kirk! I like the ideas and I redesigned the exposure triangle to make it easier for people to understand too. And the top few ideas you shared will be added to my "How to use a camera" class which is just a one day class.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Kemp View Post
            Thanks to you too Kirk! I like the ideas and I redesigned the exposure triangle to make it easier for people to understand too. And the top few ideas you shared will be added to my "How to use a camera" class which is just a one day class.
            You are more than welcome!
            Redheaded Johnson

Comment

Working...
            X